Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Success




For every hard and not so hard work we put into a task, we expect success.

Success!

Success!

Success!

But then, what is success? When do we say a certain person is successful? When do we pat ourselves on the back for a job well done?

Let's see what the beautiful world of internet tells us. I googled 10 Most successfull people and here is the list from men's health which includes people like George Clooney, Mark Zuckerberg, Sandra Bullock and of course Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. All these people are famous and super rich.

Then I tried List of most successful people  and same thing, feautured names are a bit different from the first one with only Steve Jobs making a second appearance but they are all rich and famous.

So, is being rich and famous success? Is that all it takes to be successful?

I disagree with all these lists. I know my opinion does not matter but I will give it anyway. 

Success should never me measured only in how famous and/or rich a person is. That will be unfair to those very successful people who are neither rich nor famous. Take my late mother for instance, she was just a personal secretary who did not even have a degree but went on to raise two kids (plus brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces etc etc) all on her own. I succeeded in almost everything I set my eyes on, my brother is successful in his field. None of her kids have done drugs, been to jail or did any major crimes. So, is it fair to say my mother was not successful because she was not rich or famous?

Look at these rich and famous, some worked to get what they have and some were just lucky enough to be born with a last name that is tied to billions. Should we regard the children of the rich and famous as most successful people? What have they done to get that success?

Whatever you take from that, my point is; there is more to success than just ending up rich and famous. Success is setting goals and achieving them. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody's idea of success is being a billionaire. Some would happily be good parents, business owners (regardless of how small the business is) or even just quit smoking.

A drug addict getting clean. Being the first to get a degree in your family. Keeping your job for 10years. Walking your daughter down the aisle. Watching your son being the best father you have always wanted him to be. Those people would make into my Most successful people.

Set a goal, make a plan and start marching towards it. You will pop a champagne when you are 100% successful with whatever you wanted to achieve but for every step you take towards that goal, pop your favorite soda and celebrate. It is not just about the destination but the journey too.

Do not let the world define what success is to you, define your own success and GOOD LUCK.

So, what is success to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment