Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Islam in the European Football World



I first just wanted to attach a video but as I kept searching I came across so many interesting information that I could not just keep to myself.


Bayern Munich


For some who do not know, Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery is also known as Bilal. He is a Muslim and has admitted to praying five times a day saying that prayers give him a sense of calmness, strength on and off the field. He also put in an official request to have a Mosque at Allianz Arena (Bayern's Old Trafford). The request was accepted where as the club agreed to building a mosque for Muslim players and fans which will have a full time Imam, Islamic library and Islamic sessions. The best part is, the club will finance 85% of the running costs while players and fans will have to take care of the 15%.

Bilal Franck Ribery


Barcelona


Abidal converted to islam when he married his wife. About the religion and his wife, this is what the Barcelona Legend has to say;
"All I can say is that I am happy to have a wonderful woman who has not only given her heart and two great kids, but also a religion that preaches peace."
Team mate Xavi, who is not a Muslim but pays a close attention to the activities of his Muslim team mates. He talks about how Muslim player were always provided with a place to do their prayers even back in his days at La Masia. Xavi even knows that Yaya was the 'priest' but after his departure Keita took over as the 'priest'. Most of all, Xavi respects Muslim players especially when they 'do not eat or drink anything for 12 hours' and yet find the strength to play like everybody else.


 Abidal reading Quran while on football duty.


Affelay and his parents.


Real Madrid

Real Madrid is probably the team (among European BIG clubs) with the most Muslim players, in numbers and quality. Until 2012 the club's logo had a cross. It was removed early 2012. People say it was a marketing strategy as they would not be able to penetrate the Middle East and Asia with a cross on their logo. Marketing strategy or no marketing strategy, thinking of making a club 'friendly' to their Muslim supporters is an effort we appreciate.



Mesut Ozil recites the Quran before matches and during national anthems when playing for Germany. He even went on telling his team mates not to disturb him when he is praying;
"I always recite from Quran before I go out (on the pitch). This really helps me to keep me focused. I pray and my team-mates know that they cannot talk to me during this brief period."
By 2012 Real Madrid had six Muslim players; Mesut Ozil, Karim Benzema, Sami Khedira, Nuri Sahin, Hamit Altintop and Lassana Diarra.

Mesut Ozil and his mother.
 
Karim Benzema praying before a match against Barcelona.


Those are some that I managed to cover with the limited time that I have. Muslim Peoples have an even longer list, if you are interested. 

It is good to see that Muslims and Non Muslims can co-exist, play some beautiful entertaining football, win and loose together as a team. Islam IS a religion of peace.
Some of these footballers will be playing while fasting. May Allah bless their souls and make it an easy and blessed Ramadhan to them and to every Muslim.
I did not forget about EPL, here is a program done by BBC which also takes credit for inspiring me to write this piece.

Some photos that I really liked.




Nasri kinda makes me think I can design Eid cards, and by designing I mean putting this photo at the front of the card.


I love the amount of respect in this one. Imagine you want to celebrate a goal but have to cool yourself down so the goal scorer can pray. Muslims will find that easy but mind you, these teammates are non Muslim and probably don't even believe in prayers.

Ribery and Altinkop went for Umra in 2009.

They even took time to pose with fans/brothers.
 Taarabt after he scored against West Ham.

Wakaso (Ghana).


Ramadhan Kareem.

Sources: Loonwatch, Reli Journal, Humor Book, Maibelopah, Muslim Peoples.

No comments:

Post a Comment